Thinking of joining us? Kewl!
We'd love to have you, but please read the following, to get an idea what we're about.
SlideMeister is a news/discussion group that should probably not be joined on a whim or casually. Some folks have "joined" something because its free or whatever, and quickly forgot about ever having done so. Have you ever done that? Sure you have. We all have! You can do that here as well, except here we help you forget about it by deleting your account if you don't at least poke your head in the door once in a while. ;o)
Your application can also be deleted in seven days if you aren't interested enough to activate your account. Writing me back and calling me filthy names after I delete your account, (cuz you never bothered to activate it after being instructed to do so in the Acceptance I sent ya) only tells me that you were a maggot infested, low-life, slime-bag that I woundda had to kick out anyway. Works out pretty well actually; I call it "pre-emptive filtering." :o)
Yes, I do have a couple simple "requirements" that decent folks don't mind, cuz they know what I'm trying to do. They're really no big deal, and I'm proud to say that those little "speed bumps" help me catch about a half dozen SPAMMERS per week. The folks who get bent outta shape by the "speed bumps," I put in the same category as SPAMMERS; they would just end up aggravating the group, and, "Mother Hen" that I am, I just wanna protect the folks in my forum from anything that is unpleasant.
All we want here are folks who really care about the Chromatic harmonica. That's why I've already deleted thousands of "joiners" (really) who never even signed in for a week after joining us, or went thirty days without saying "hello."
When you apply to be a SlideMeister member, I run a couple spammer checks, approve your membership and require you to "activate" your account within seven days. I'll also send you an email with a couple basic instructions. We're just being efficient here and saving the trouble of deleting you for lack of interest later.
Your acceptance letter will look something like this:
You really ARE required to read this.
1. "SEVEN AND THIRTY AND 150": You will also receive an activation letter from the forum. Answering that letter will ACTIVATE your account. This must be done within the next SEVEN days. (see item #3)
2. You MUST post an introduction to the group within THIRTY days to avoid being deleted. Just go to http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/index.php?board=105.0 , and click on New Topic, and say Hello. Failure to do either of the above will result on your account being deleted.
3. REACTIVATION If your account is deleted for inactivity or not "activating," (see item #7 below) and you want to re-apply, a twenty dollar ($20. US) re-processing fee will be charged. Re-processing requests NOT preceded by a twenty dollar PayPal payment to firstname.lastname@example.org will simply be rejected. If your "application" is deleted for not "activating" within seven days, despite all the reminders I send you to do so, don't waste your time re-applying without submitting that $20.
4. Before you post, please be sure to familiarize yourself with the operations of the forum by going to: http://www.SlideMeister.com/forums/index.php?topic=13763.0 (It's also the quickest way to see what makes SlideMeister one of the coolest forums on the web )
The following information is critical to maintaining your membership. Read the posting rules. If you're like all of us, you just checked /ticked the "Agreement" without reading it, so here it is again: http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/index.php?topic=17011.new#new
5. While you are not required to list any personal information in your online profile, listing your general location. (not your physical address) is always appreciated. You may change your personal profile after your first post.
6. Your only posting requirement as a SlideMeister member is an introduction to the group, or at the least, a one sentence "Hello, I'm (*your username) from (your country) or whatever," to http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/index.php?board=105.0 after which there are absolutely no further posting requirements, ever! **Failure to post an introduction, (as described above,) within thirty days will result in the deactivation of your account, and a twenty-dollar fee will be changed to set up a new one.
As soon as the above initial requirements are met, (even if you do it on your first day, or your first five minutes) your probationary "APPLICANT" status will be dropped, you're credited fifteen posts and your membership is upgraded to "BABY BUTTON PUSHER / Regular Member" status, where you'll be able to take advantage of many of the advanced features of the forum. (which are pretty cool by the way ;o) Note: Your first post MUST be an introduction. Asking a question does not count as a "first post," in fact, doing so will keep you from receiving the fifteen posting credits mentioned above, and you'll remain an "APPLICANT" till you actually post fifteen times. (There ain't no "do-overs" )
7. While there are no further posting requirements, (ever) in order to remain a member of SlideMeister, you are required (at the minimum) to sign-in with your name and password at least once, every five months. (One Hundred-fifty days) Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted. Of course, you may always re-apply, but that twenty dollar (U.S.) fee mentioned above will be charged to make you a new account. Vetting members is a comprehensive, six-part, time consuming, pain in the butt, and I only do it once for free.
8. Your Username MUST be a "decent" name or word that can actually be pronounced. Stuff like "kl_sjx3" or an email address, or any vulgarity is not acceptable and you will be required to change it.
9. If you close your account, (quit) for a reason other than illness, relocation or whatever, you will not be allowed to rejoin, ever.
I know, a lotta "flaming hoops" but they're one of the things that make SlideMeister the best Chromatic forum on the web.
Questions? Great! Just reply to this email.
All the best, and Welcome to SlideMeister!
A.J.Fedor - SlideMeister Admin